Home

Advice for students

Fire Kills Poster

Living away from home for the first time can be exciting and maybe even a little daunting. It’s the first time you take complete control of your life.

Fire safety might not seem like a major priority. But your student life style puts you at a higher risk of fire. You’re more likely to be preoccupied with timetables, assignment deadlines and socialising with your friend than worrying about whether you’re fire safe.

Cooking

  • Don’t leave cooking unattended.
  • Take extra care when frying with oil as this is an extremely common cause of fire. If one does occur never pour water on it as it will turn into a fireball.
  • Don't cook if you have been drinking alcohol your concentration levels are lower. The risk of accidents is greater in the kitchen if you have been drinking.

Smoking

  • Don't leave lit cigarettes unattended. They can easily overbalance as they burn down, land on a carpet or newspaper and start a fire.
  • When you put it out, make sure it really is out.
  • Don’t smoke in bed and make sure you’ve extinguished your cigarette properly before you go to sleep.
  • Take extra care when you're tired, taking prescription drugs or have been drinking alcohol. It's very easy to fall asleep without realising that your cigarette is still burning.
  • If you'd like to try and stop smoking, you're four times more likely to succeed with support, which you can get from Smokefreelife Oxfordshire

Candles

  • They should be placed firmly in a proper holder so they don't fall over. The candle should be standing straight up.
  • Make sure they are on a heat-resistant surface. Be especially careful with night lights and tea lights, which get hot enough to melt plastic such as the top of a TV and the side of a bath tub.
  • Keep out of draughts and away from curtains, other fabrics or furniture, which could catch fire.
  • Never leave them unattended.
  • Always remember to extinguish them properly before going to sleep.

Electrics

  • Don’t overload plug sockets.
  • Remember to switch off electrical equipment, such as hair straighteners, hair dryers and mobile phone chargers, when not in use.
  • Only use one adaptor per socket. Don’t plug one adaptor into another and try to keep to one plug per socket.
  • Don't overload extension leads and adaptors, they have a limit on how many amps they can take.

Portable heaters

  • Secure portable heaters up against a wall, so they don’t fall over.
  • Keep them away from curtains and furnishings.
  • Never dry or air clothes on them.

Smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms

From October 2015 it is compulsory for all landlords to fit smoke and carbon alarms in rented home. It is the tenants responsibility to test the alarms regularly.

  • Under the new laws smoke alarms must be fitted on every floor of the property.
  • Carbon monoxide alarms must be fitted in properties which burn solid fuels.
  • It is your responsibility to test them regularly.
  • Remember a smoke alarm is your only warning and could save you precious time in your escape.
  • Get weekly test your smoke alarm reminders by following @oxonfirerescue  on twitter or liking oxfordshirefireandrescueservice on Facebook.

Plan your escape route

  • Know your escape route, your usual way in and out of your home is the best escape route.
  • Always choose a second escape route in case your first choice is blocked.
  • Keep all exits clear of obstructions.

Make sure you recognise these symbols. They show your appliances and furnishings are safe.

Fire Kills graphics

For information about your landlord’s responsibilities visit the Citizens Advice Bureau website.