Put it out, right out!
365 Alive is backing No Smoking Day 2011 by urging smokers to realise the deadly dangers of lighting up at home.
More people die in fires caused by smoking than in fires resulting from any other single cause. This is because tobacco is designed to stay lit, which is why cigarettes can so easily start an accidental fire.
It only takes one cigarette to:
- Start a fire in your home which could kill you and your family.
- Wipe out your possessions and childhood memories.
- Leave thousands of pounds worth of damage to your home.
For smokers who are not ready to kick the habit this No Smoking Day, Wednesday 9th March 2011, it is important to follow these simple precautions to prevent a fire at home:
- Put it out, right out! Make sure your cigarette, cigar or pipe is fully extinguished.
- Fit a smoke alarm and test it weekly. A working smoke alarm can buy you valuable time to get out, stay out and call 999.
- If you need to lie down, don’t light up. You could easily doze off and set your bed or sofa on fire.
- Never leave lit cigarettes, cigars or pipes unattended. They can easily overbalance as they burn down.
- Use a proper, heavy ashtray that can’t easily tip over and is made of a material that won’t burn.