Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas. It has no smell or taste meaning you could be inhaling it without realising it.

In a caravan, awning or tent, a warm and smouldering barbecue will give off plenty of poisonous carbon monoxide. It can build up to dangerous levels very quickly in an enclosed space.

Camping or caravanning

  • Never place a barbecue in your tent, awning, caravan or motorhome
  • Don’t cook inside your tent or awing.
  • Never use your gas stove or barbecue for heating.
  • Fit a carbon monoxide alarm in your caravan. These are reasonably priced in local DIY stores and are easy to fit. Visit our carbon monoxide advice page for further guidance on alarms.
  • Don’t rely on a carbon monoxide alarms to warn you of carbon monoxide in a tent or awning.  They are not designed for these conditions.
  • Don’t use any gas, charcoal or liquid fuel appliances inside a tent or awning.

Symptoms to watch out for are

  • Headaches
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea
  • Breathlessness
  • Fatigue
  • Drowsiness
  • Collapse
  • Or loss of consciousness