Choosing a competent fire risk assessor

The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 states that if you are the Responsible Person of premises you must make sure you carry out a fire risk assessment, although you can choose to appoint a 'competent' risk assessor to carry out a fire risk assessment on your behalf. However, you will still be responsible in law for meeting the requirements of the order.

The Fire Risk Assessment Competency Council, under the auspices of the Fire Sector Federation has published a Guide to Choosing a Competent Fire Risk Assessor (.pdf, 104Kb).  The guide provides advice and information for Responsible Persons when considering appointing a specialist to undertake the Fire Risk Assessment and provide fire safety advice. The guide provides advice on finding a specialist person or body, and identifies the certificating bodies that operate registration schemes.