What should I do first?

Do not enter your home until the fire and rescue service has told you it is safe to do so. Your property becomes your responsibility when the fire and rescue service leaves.

Contact your insurance company

  • They will advise you of the most important steps to take in the hours and days after the fire.
  • Find out what your insurance policy does and does not cover. 

If you are unable to live in your property

Make sure it is secure

  • Remove all valuables and important documents.
  • Close and lock all doors and windows, if it is safe to do so.
  • If you need to boarded up windows or doors:
    • Contractors can be found in the Yellow Pages or similar directories. 
    • Council tenants should contact their local housing department and private tenants should contact their landlord.
  • Contact the police and advise them your property is empty.

Find somewhere to stay

  • You will need to arrange temporary accommodation. 
  • Your local housing office will be able to advice. This applies whether you live in a private, council or a rented property.
  • Check with your insurance company before making arrangements.

Fire and rescue tarpaulins

If the fire and rescue service have covered your roof with tarpaulins.

  • They are on loan for 6 days.
  • After this period there is a charge per day.  You should make arrangements to have them replaced. Check with you insurance provided to find out whether such expenses are covered by your insurance policy.